It’s officially peak summer—the solstice has passed, and so has Independence Day, but the bright sunny days aren’t over yet! While you’re making the most of the sunshine, don’t forget about your skin. It’s important to adjust your beauty routine as the seasons change to keep your look fresh while staying cool.
- Apply, then re-apply, SPF. We hope this is already on your must-do list, but a reminder never hurts. Be sure to apply at least a teaspoon of SPF 30 to your face alone, plus at least a golf ball size amount to the rest of your body. If you’re in the sun for the entire day, especially if you’re sweaty (no shame!) or near water, be sure to apply every 2-3 hours. Don’t forget the lips, ears, and hands!
- Chug that H20. This is another given, but amp up your hydration when the temps rise. Not only will it keep you cool and healthy, but it will make your skin glow and maintain your body’s detoxification.
- Boost hydration from the outside. Keep your thick face creams to the nighttime and your light serums to the mornings. Not only will this keep makeup from slipping off (more on that below), but it’ll better lock in moisture before your skin hits the sun. Lather body lotion on immediately post-shower and shave to stay smooth. For on-the-go refreshment, carry a spray toner to stay flawless.
- Prep & prime. It’s no secret that hot temps make for a feeling that your face is melting off. Avoid ruining your beauty regimen by starting with a primer. Apply to clean skin, and let set for 1 minute. Not only will your skin tone look more even, but whatever you choose to apply afterward won’t budge.
- Stay minimal. The best way to avoid the midday meltdown is to limit the products you use. For day-to-day, stick with your basics: concealer, cream highlighter, waterproof mascara, and maybe a hydrating pop of color on your lips! Choose double duty products to really be efficient– like makeup that doubles as skincare.
- Shed the dead [skin]. Never has it been more important to exfoliate than summer! When you’re spending more time in the sun, it’s crucial to preventing dull, dry skin. Plus, moisturizers are most effective and makeup will last longer on freshly scrubbed skin. Try alternating days between a granulated scrub and a AHA chemical peel.
- Embrace sun kisses. Even when you’re diligent about SPF, you still might get a bit of color. Safely build on your bronze glow by adding a bit of shimmery highlighter above your cheekbones, down the bridge of your nose, above your brows, below your browbones, and on your chin.
Cheers to staying cool, safe, and beautiful this summer!
Want to win Summer essentials from Soma & Onomie? Enter for a chance to win a prize pack valued at $240. Sweeps ends 7.23.17.
We’re a house of beauty nerds obsessed with using clean science to intelligently blend skincare and makeup into one powerful, rigorously-tested regimen. At Onomie, we believe that healthy skin is worth committing to, and that wearing makeup should support that goal – not work against it.
Our products are packed with natural actives like Vitamins A, B, C and E, and will never allow parabens, sulfates, fragrances or harsh irritants near our ingredient list. Onomie’s skincare-meets-makeup formulas are clinically validated, so through repeat use, they’ll make good on their promises to give you brighter eyes and softer lines.
Onomie: clean science meets real-life beauty.